Saturday, January 29, 2011

Bang and Whimper

I may have complaints about my studio apartment's hot-plate-and-toaster-oven setup, but it hasn't stopped me from making delicious, complicated food for large groups of people. However, I have yet to find a silver lining for the refrigerator. It is old, it changes temperature and humidity levels on a whim, and the "freezer" portion is unfit to maintain the structural integrity of ice cream. Ben and I have wasted many of our dollars on food that went bad too soon.
Last Sunday I tried to open the "freezer door" to discover that frost had unhinged it. Also, I couldn't see Ben's bottle of Jagermeister (pretty much the only thing that we keep in the "freezer") because it had been swallowed by the frost. As I was dealing with the recurring pains of being genetically Swedish, this left Ben to defrost the damn thing. It seemed to be going well (chunks of ice dislodged in an eerie homage to the Arctic Circle) until a horrible Bang!Pop! noise, followed by the hiss-whine of an herbivore in the death embrace of a jugular-biting predator. Something had gone terribly wrong, I thought, as the air filled with the faint smell of a gas not suitable for breathing. Apparently the cooling coil was offended by our defrosting efforts, and just gave up in defiance.
The good news: our landlord was willing to let us pick out a new fridge and deduct it from the rent. The bad news: our new, awesome, modern, working fridge would not arrive until Thursday. That meant that for four days I would be without eggs and yogurt, essentially 2/3 of my diet.
For four days I relied on fruit, protein bars, and the occasional peanut butter sandwich. I would be waiting for Ben as soon as he got home, starving and desperate (which was tragic for a hypoglycemic such as myself, but the burgers and burritos I got for dinner sort of evened everything out). On Thursday the awesome new fridge (with real working freezer, novel idea) arrived; by the time Ben got home it was cool enough to house perishable food (another novel idea). I would include pictures, but I imagine that the rest of you are lucky enough to know the joys of a working fridge and freezer. Since moving to Oregon (aka The Undeveloped North), it has become a foreign concept that I once took for granted.
That is, until now.

2 comments:

  1. I would personally like to welcome you to the 21st century, where along with overhead freezers, we have an invention called the microwave! its good for......melting chocolate!
    and, um well.... anyways congradulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :)
    I have a microwave, thank goodness, but I don't have a toaster. Yes, I know, I'm silly.

    ReplyDelete