Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A Cave Girl and Her Tools

Before I could cook anything, I had to know how the "kitchen" tools would limit me. I realize that my environment will make any recipe a challenge, but there are some which are impossible without special tools. Most of my high-grade equipment stayed behind in California due to space restrictions; I brought only my five-piece Calphalon cookware set that my mother gave me, plus some dishes and silverware. I am down to the basics.

Ben's cave of a kitchen was woefully under equipped, but he had a bit of gear to nicely supplement mine. All of his equipment came from encouraging family members and one particularly fruitful divorce*, but it had done him hardly any good. The greater part of his cave kitchen had gone to waste as he is fatally allergic to any kitchen activity.

Aside from basic utensils and flatware, my available tools are listed here. My gear is in italics, and Ben's gear is in standard type. New additions to our inventory will be added in bold type as we get it, along with the date

One Euro-Pro toaster oven
One Toastmaster Buffet Range hot plate
One General Electric hand mixer with two sets of whisks
One Calphalon 1 qt. saucepot
One Calphalon 2 qt. saucepot

One Bialetti 2 qt. saucepot
One Calphalon 3 qt. saucepan
One Calphalon 6 qt. saucepot

One Cookmate 7 qt. saucepot
Two Syscoware 7-inch non-stick frying pan
One Calphalon 10-inch non-stick frying pan
One Chefmate 10” non-stick frying pan
One non-stick muffin tin, made for six muffins
Two Ikea Drälla cutting boards
One 6” x 9” x 1.5” non-stick baking dish
One 6” x 9” non-stick baking tray
One set Oneida measuring cups and spoons
One four-piece Ikea Hake knife set
One Oxo spatula
One Good Cook cheese grater (Added 2 August 2009)
One Oxo meat pounder (added 14 August 2009)

One Cuisinart dual blender/food processor (added 25 December 2009)
One 8-quart Crock Pot (added 28 February 2010)
One Chefmate electric skillet (added 28 February 2010)

*Special thanks to Tiffany Sarasin VanderZanden for being a such a good sport when Ben unceremoniously dumped her in May 2005. Thanks for the kitchen gear!

No comments:

Post a Comment