Thursday, September 24, 2009

In Vino

Tuesday was a multi-purpose cause for celebration. It was not only my first payday at my new job, but also the first day of autumn. For me, the first day of autumn is marked by my waning craving for most white wines (ever a child of Napa, I know), which conveniently coincided on the same day. Imagine my thrill when Ben brought home several bottles of vibrant red wine!Our first bottle, a Tiz Red from back home, was dead in an evening after I took Ben out for a picnic dinner date. The red nicely accompanied cold chicken caeser wraps, a crisp sunset, and selected readings from Augusten Burroughs. The second, a Château Briot bordeaux, met a valiant end with some organic mushroom ravioli, bell pepper stuffed meatballs, and some Newman's Own sauce (I had destroyed my kneecap that day and couldn't stand long enough to make proper sauce, but Newman didn't disappoint). Ben preferred the Tiz on the grounds that very dry wines don't suit him. I, for one, might sin for a fine bordeaux.

That leaves us with a Lucky Star petite sirah and a Baglio di Pianetto ramione. As excited as I am to try them, I am more excited about pairing them properly with food. My last two meal pairings were completely random and spontaneous, so these require more delicate consideration. Ben is also reveling in eating at home after our recent ventures, so I think he deserves a reminder of why he comes back home night after night to the same wee kitchen. After some research I found a lovely roast leg of lamb recipe that was recommended with the Lucky Star, while the Baglio di Pianetto only suggests pairing with Italian food. Thanks for that. More on the results will surely come later this week, and will likely be joined with an attempt to make mulled wine.

Before I sign off and muse about my soon-to-be obliterated wine cache, I believe that a word from Miss Julia Child is in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment