Saturday, September 19, 2009

Prost!

This weekend marks the moment that Ben has been waiting for all year: Oktoberfest in Mount Angel. It is normally Ben's favorite excuse to drink, but I saw it as an opportunity to garner inspiration for further meals. Ben is, after all, so German that it hurts sometimes.
Perhaps a turkey leg (pictured above with my friend Joe) is too ambitious for my kitchen. However, there was plenty more to be had. There was the classic bratwurst and sauerkraut, savory Russian dishes that I could neither pronounce nor spell, and schnitzel that made my taste buds dance. For the sweet (and inebriated) tooth there were also strudels, danishes, and delicious apple fritters. There was food as far as the eye could see.
Yes, there was also a ton of beer.

I am excited to come back to my kitchen. With the smell of fall in the air and the taste of borscht and schnitzel lingering, I look forward to recreating as many Oktoberfest dishes as possible over the next few months... Except maybe this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment