Friday, May 21, 2010

And the Sky is Gray

I miss California in every way possible. I miss the culture, the opportunities, the art and refinement, the friends and the nights out.

I miss the sun most of all.

As if living in a glorified den isn't frustrating enough, these late May days have been either torrential and cold or sunny-ish and cold. I have walked to school under an umbrella that vaguely resembles the roof of Denver International Airport, only to have the sun taunt me once I finally found a cozy corner of Knight Library. In California my winter clothes would already be collecting dust, to say nothing about my nonexistent umbrella. The only sunlight today has been my research paper, which is finished as of last night and ready for final editing. While it is an elating accomplishment, it still doesn't compare to a genuine spring day (about which Oregon clearly knows jack).

I now find myself with a boatload of free hours, palpable homesickness, and the lingering belief that I carry California with me wherever I stand. As I love making food that speaks for my mood or the important events in my life, it made sense to make some truly Californian food to mark my loyalty.

What constitutes Californian food? There are many cultures that have made a home in California, and the state has a proud agricultural legacy. I could go about this in many different ways while still accomplishing my goal. To figure it out I made a clear picture of what I missed most at the moment, which was sun-drizzled Central California. With that I thought of a casual lunch by the beach, surfing, and the lazy afternoons that I used to enjoy before moving northward.


The end product was turkey burgers with Swiss cheese, avocado, and green tea with orange, which were absolutely perfect. I was eating more than the products behind California's best ad campaigns; I was munching on a little bit of sunshine. Ben liked it so much that we are having them again tonight. For a few minutes I was at home, and the feeling lingered until I could almost feel it in my fingertips.

My apologies to any Oregonians who feel that I am snubbing your state. I promise this isn't the case at all; surely you can understand how it feels to love something so much that any alternative pales in comparison. You have your state, and it works for you. I have mine.

California dreaming, on such a spring day.

No comments:

Post a Comment