Friday, May 7, 2010

Beyond Brinner

Remember when I said that I was too traumatized from my first dinner party to have another one? I lied.

Before I go on I must confess that I am a comic book power dork. I devour the comics, debate the themes with ease, and once drove from Salem, Oregon to Sacramento, California in six hours and change because my friend scored us tickets to the much-coveted "Spiderman" premiere. I incurred a speeding ticket and severe hypoglycemic shock from that drive, but it was worth it.

Once midnight showings became de rigueur I would amass people at my house beforehand for dinner. At first the guest list consisted of Stephen (my best friend) and Scott (my roommate) with the rest of our movie group joining us at the theater. After a while, though, people began to see the brilliance of my plan. We comic book enthusiasts knew that the only way to see a comic book movie is at midnight, and the only way to preface a midnight showing is with brinner.

Until now I had been most famous for my "Dark Knight" brinner, which consisted of several frittatas with various organic sausages, exotic cheeses, and delicious potato crusts (I don't reveal the recipe because my family would probably behead me). From then on I was the legendary Brinner Goddess, and the twenty people who ate with me were convinced that every other brinner would pale in comparison.

They were WRONG.

Last night was the premiere of "Iron Man 2", a movie I have been anxiously awaiting since the credits rolled on the first "Iron Man" installment. As none of my Eugene-based comic book power dorks had been witness to my awesome brinner powers, I shrugged off this week's dinner party defeat and fired up the waffle maker.

Ben pulled out all the stops when he came home with groceries for the meal. He picked up slab after slab of the finest bacon, giant German sausages, organic berries for my famous berry sauce, flats of eggs, and beer. The best part about brinner is being able to justify beer with your waffles.

I had the electric skillet and waffle maker at the perfect temperature once my good friend Andrew showed up. He and Jen were the first to dive into a delicious waffle topped with bacon and eggs cooked to order (skipping the berry sauce, which was perfect). Ben and I preferred breakfast burritos stuffed to capacity with eggs, sausage, and bacon, with a side waffle drenched in berry sauce.


Andrew and my friend Duy showed up next, late as usual, with his roommate Jaleb and some beer to go with our waffles. Jaleb wasn't hungry, which was almost grounds for forcing him to wait outside until we were done eating. Duy was kind enough to eat Jaleb's share of the monstrous meal (pictured above).

Last (as usual) but certainly not least was our favorite Father Augustine, who remarked at the cultural mishmash that is a Belgian waffle next to a burrito. I expected him to just leave it at that. Instead, he took the mishmash a step further, using his waffle as a tortilla to wrap his bacon and eggs into a Belgian burrito of sorts. I would have snapped a picture of his genius work, but we were all frankly too stunned by it to move or speak.

True to brinner's form, it was the perfect preface to an amazing midnight movie. I dare say that it was even more epic than the "Dark Knight" fritattas of 2008. My friends in California have been sending me messages all morning expressing their disdain for not being there, either for brinner or the movie. Perhaps the most forlorn is my good friend Shine, who was witness to the "Dark Knight" brinner and is in Taipei for the next indefinite length of time. He still doesn't believe that this brinner could have been better than the last one, though. No one in California does.

Only my Eugene friends know the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment